Monday, January 12, 2009

pleasant words are a honeycomb...

i read this verse from Proverbs in a daily email i received for today. "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

i think about how often my words are not pleasant by any means...they are hurtful, and worst sometimes pre-meditated to cause harm. they often "assume the worst" of dear loved ones, or are unnecessarily aggressive, shouted out in anger. its terrible. my words are often used to complain and express my discontent or dissatisfaction with life. my words are not only hurting others, but they are hurting to God, and they are definitely hurting me.

a few months ago, a friend of mine shared some verses from her daily devotional. i was distracted at the time with my daughter, but got to check them out at a later date. i was so encouraged by them, and definitely challenged to work on my words.

All the utterances of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing crooked or perverted in them. Proverbs 8:8

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person. Colossians 4:6

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

note the keywords in these verses..."always" "all" "nothing" "no" "only". no exceptions! is this even possible!!?? "All things are possible with God." Mark 10:27

No comments: